Thanks to Aslam Levy from Cape Town Tourism I had the pleasure of taking a VIP tour of Cape Town’s new 2010 World Cup Green Point stadium. Legend Matt Buckland joined me for the tour as well as local CT hero’s Gaby Rosario and Lindi King.
Personally I think the Green Point stadium will become one of the worlds best, not due to its capacity but because of its architecture and idyllic placing in one of the worlds most beautiful cities. If the local Western Provence / Stormers rugby team doesn’t make this their new home stadium I will be amazed ( and they will be foolish).
To find out more about the stadium and to book tours go to www.greenpointstadiumvc.co.za.
Green Point Stadium Facts
- The Stadium will cost approx R4.5 billion
- Green Point Stadium is due for completion by mid December 2009.
- Capacity will be 68,000 for the 2010 world cup (55,000 after the world cup)
- Basement parking for 1200 cars
- 16 lifts throughout the stadium
- 250 VIP suits
- Stadium footprint is equivalent to six city blocks, 50m tall, 15 storey building
- Design uses natural light for ambience and to save energy; the façade is covered
with an open mesh fabric that plays with natural light
- The roof acts as acoustic dampening to make the stadium ideal for music concerts
For all the pictures and some extras just click on the photo gallery link underneath